- Food & Booze
Vegan caramel protein bars
22 Feb 2017
If you think protein bars sound like the culinary embodiment of sadness, we’ve got the recipe for you. These caramel protein bars from My Food Religion are chocked full of healthy goodness, the kind that actually tastes good. And with the secret ingredient of cauliflower, it’s basically a salad, right? So if you’re looking for a treat that doesn’t make you want to immediately run on a treadmill for a thousand years, these bad boys are sure to satisfy. No really, trust us.
- 300g steamed & cooled cauliflower
- 200g raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hrs then drained
- 200g medjool datess
- Dark chocolate (for dipping)
- 2 tbs mesquite powder (optional but delicious)
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup/maple syrup/honey/coconut nectar
- 1/2 cup raw vanilla protein powder
- Add dates, cashews & cauliflower to a food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the dark chocolate and process again until it forms a dough. If it’s still a bit wet, add an extra 1/4 cup protein at a time until you get to a ‘bliss ball’ type consistency.
- Press into a baking paper lined tray and put in the freezer to set for 1-2 hrs.
- Once the slice has set you can melt your chocolate and put it in a bowl for dipping.
- Cut the slice into bars, dip in the chocolate and place back into the freezer to reset.