The best pancake recipe for Shrove Tuesday
Whether you’re going down the traditional route of using up all the eggs, cream and butter in your fridge for Lent or you’re just jumping on board the excuse to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Tuesday) is right up there with Easter and Christmas in the delicious holiday stakes.We might not be up for denying ourselves anything when it comes to food, but we will adopt any holiday that involves eating our weight in maple syrup, so we asked Nims from The Jam Pantry to tell us the secret to her devilishly good pancakes. And with a recipe this easy, Shrove Tuesday may just last until Friday.
The perfect pancake recipeMix together the following dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- Maple syrup (duh). ALWAYS in a cute jug on the side so the bottom of your pancake doesn’t turn to mush.
- Ricotta, passionfruit curd and mango cheeks.
- Bacon, maple syrup and fried eggs.
- Poached pears, blackberries and yoghurt.
- Fresh strawberries, peaches and whipped cream with a little vanilla
For a savoury version:
- Omit the sugar, add a pinch of salt, a tsp of chilli, 2 cups of corn kernels, a handful of coriander chopped and hey presto, corn fritters!
- Do the same with mint and peas and shazam, pea fritters.