Recipe | Simple Seedy Coleslaw
We’re going to be honest with you. We thought coleslaw was healthy.
While it’s not on the same level as a late night Maccas run, it’s also – surprisingly – not great to consume in great quantities (oops). After a lot of denial, tears and acceptance, we searched far and wide to source the healthiest coleslaw recipe we could find – and ladies and gents, we found it.
Delicious and nutritious, straight from the whole food queen herself, we present the Simple Seedy Slaw recipe from Cookie + Kate.
SIMPLE SEEDY SLAW RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups finely sliced purple cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Up to ¾ cup mixed seeds (pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the prepared purple and green cabbage, carrots and parsley. Set aside.
- Measure your seeds into a small skillet. Toast over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the seeds are fragrant and the pepitas are starting to make little popping noises. Pour the toasted seeds into the mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl combine the olive oil with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add the garlic, cumin and salt and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Drizzle the dressing over the slaw and toss until all of the ingredients are lightly coated in dressing. Taste and add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice if the slaw needs a little more zip. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate to marinate for up to several hours.