RECIPE | Salted Caramel Coconut Panna Cotta
24 May 2017
We are all about allllllll thangs salted caramel – well salted everything really – so we had to pinch ourselves when we saw this recipe for HEALTHY salted caramel panna cotta. Add the delicious taste of coconut, not to mention all the paleo-approved gut healthy gelatin and you have a dessert that is creamy, delicious AF and has health benefits! Thanks to eating fresh expert Beth at Tasty Yummies – there’s even a vegan option! Salted Caramel Coconut Panna Cotta INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons powdered grass-fed gelatin*
- 1 13.5 ounce can full fat organic coconut milk, divided
- 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (alcohol-free for AIP)
- a sprinkle of coarse sea salt for serving, optional
- toasted coconut chips for serving, optional
- Pour the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over top and let sit for 10 minutes so the gelatin can bloom.
- Meanwhile add the coconut sugar and 1/4 cup of the coconut milk over medium heat. Whisk well to combine and allow the mixture to heat up and begin to boil, don’t stir too much, but don’t allow to burn. Heat until the coconut sugar has dissolved and it has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Then add the remaining coconut milk, maple syrup and sea salt to the saucepan with, whisk well to remove all lumps in the coconut milk and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat to a medium-low, add the gelatin mixture. Whisk well and allow the mixture to steam, but don’t allow it to boil. You simply want the gelatin and the coconut sugar to be fully dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into four small serving dishes and place in the fridge. Allow to set for at least four hours before serving. Top with coarse sea salt and toasted coconut chips.
- For a traditional panna cotta, serving style, pour the mixture into very lightly greased shallow ramekins or other serving dishes, chill the 4 hours, as directed. When serving, place the chilled dishes into a shallow bowl of hot water for 1-2 minutes, then flip the dessert onto a plate. It should slide right out, you can also run a thin knife along the edge. Serve immediately.