- Food & Booze
RECIPE | Raw Hazelnut Brownies
24 May 2017
Wait, you’re telling us that we can have all the deliciousness of brownies without even turning on an oven? AND they’re healthy, but still full of chocolaty goodness? Thank you Taline Gabrielian, this recipe from Hippie Lane The Cookbook might as well be sent from heaven! This chocolate-hazelnut combo is one for the Nutella fans, and it’s vegan and gluten free to boot. Try to stop at just one, we dare you. Ingredients Brownies
- 270 g (2 cups) hazelnuts
- 265 g (2½ cups) shredded coconut
- 85 g (¾ cup) raw cacao powder
- 650 g (4 cups) almonds
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 225 g (1½ cups) medjool dates
- 250 ml (1 cup) rice malt syrup
- 450 g (3 cups) chopped sugar-free dark chocolate
- 500 ml (2 cups) coconut milk
- Place the hazelnuts, coconut, cacao powder, almonds and salt in a food processor and process into small crumbs.
- Add the dates and rice malt syrup and process until the mixture is well combined and sticky. Line a 24 cm (9½ inch) square cake tin, about 5 cm (2 inches) deep, with baking paper. Transfer half the brownie mixture to the tin and press down evenly.
- Set the remaining brownie mixture aside.
- To make the chocolate ganache, add the chocolate and coconut milk to a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted and thickened. Remove from the heat. Using a tablespoon, randomly dollop about 6tablespoons of the ganache over the brownie base. Freeze for 10–20 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the freezer and press the remaining brownie mixture evenly over the top. Pour the rest of the ganache over the brownie, spreading it evenly.
- Freeze for 3–4 hours, or until set.
- Remove from the freezer 30–40 minutes before serving. Cut into slices to serve. The brownies will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for 4–6 weeks.