Recipe | Beer & Honey BBQ Chicken Skewers
Nothing quite beats the taste of a perfectly seasoned, sticky BBQ piece of chicken fresh off the grill—except when beer and honey are added!
Perfect for those balmy Brisbane evenings, this recipe is sure to score you massive points the next time you have mates over. If your skewer supply is skint – no dramas – this recipe also works with chicken thighs and legs (trust us, we’ve eaten it all!).
Servings: Makes 6 servings
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Preparation Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes (Including Chicken Marinating Time)
Beer & Honey Sauce:
- 350 ml of your favourite lager or light beer
- 1 white onion, cut into 1” chunks
- 3 green peppers, cut into 1” chunks
- One small punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp onion salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Dash of paprika
- 1 kg boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2” cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Season cubed chicken with salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together beer, honey, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, onion powder, salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, and paprika. Once marinade is formulated, place chicken cubes into a large ziploc bag and pour the mixture in on top of it. Ensuring bag is closed, shake and turn upside down to ensure even distribution.
- Let chicken bag marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour (even longer, if possible, for a maximum of 2 hours if you want maximum flavour).
- Remove chicken cubes from bag and stick about 3 cubes on each skewer, separating each piece by the addition of both an onion chunk and a cherry tomato, leaving about 2 inches in between each item. Keep leftover marinade for the time being.
FOR THE GRILL:
- Fire up the grill, ensuring a gas grill is set on medium-high (medium-hot for charcoal).
- Place chicken skewers directly onto grill, cooking for a total of 25 minutes and turning each skewer every 7 minutes.
- If desired, brush chicken with additional marinade.
- Using the meat thermometer, remove skewers from the grill once the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 75C.
- 5. Serve with your favourite side dishes (we love pineapple and coleslaw)
Author: Kendrick C. Kotter is a huge grilling/outdoor cooking passionate. He is a part-time food blogger who loves sharing his knowledge and passion about cooking with everyone at FuriousGrill.