Make it from scratch: Pumpkin, fruit, nut and seed bread
27 Apr 2015
There’s something missing from modern day kitchens. Something that we have to head to our local bakery, our favourite patisserie, or, in desperate times, our Nanna’s kitchen to find – the smell of freshly baked bread. Whether we’ve forgotten the skill or just don’t have the time between all the raw food blending and pork belly slow cooking (and eating) we do, we think this is one hands on job that we should make time for more often. That deliciously homely aroma of warm, just out of the oven carbs could soon be emanating from your front door thanks to Wolfgang Keller of The View Hotel. The Executive Chef created 5 kinds of flavoursome bread to feature at the hotel’s buffet breakfasts and has provided the recipe of the best (in Wolfgang’s own, humble, opinion), the pumpkin, fruit, nut and seed bread, so you can get handsy and create it for yourself. Ingredients
- 125g pumpkin
- 250ml water
- 13ml olive oil
- 375g baker’s flour
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 31g semolina
- 18g bread concentrate
- 7.5g instant yeast
- 31g soft butter
- 37.5g sugar
- 18ml eggs
- 62g sultanas
- 62g currants
- 37g pepita seeds
- 37g walnuts, or pecans
- 37g sunflower seeds
- Steam pumpkin until soft, then allow to cool.
- When cold, place the pumpkin into a mixing bowl, add the water, olive oil and all the dry ingredients and start mixing.
- After about 5 minutes add the butter, sugar and eggs and mix (or knead if you’re doing things the old fashioned way) until the dough is well developed. Do a gluten test to check.
- At this stage, add the fruit, nuts and seeds to the mix and mix until incorporated.
- Let the dough bulk ferment in the bowl for about 5 to 8 minutes depending on kitchen temperature (less for a warm kitchen).
- Mould into loaf and place into prepared loaf tin, loosely cover with oiled cling wrap and allow to prove in a warm place until almost doubled in size (30-40 minutes).
- Bake at 190C to a golden colour (30-40 minutes).
- When out of the oven, place on cooling wires, let cool and serve sliced with your favourite toppings. We recommend a generous slather of cream cheese!