How to make a rainbow grilled cheese toastie
26 Sep 2016
When we saw rainbow grilled cheese toasties taking over our Instagram feeds, to say we were excited was an understatement. Even discovering that we’d have to buy a ticket to Hong Kong didn’t dampen our enthusiasm – we just decided we’d have to find out how to make these gooey, stringy, rainbow coloured toasties that look like they belong in a unicorn’s lunch box ourselves.
Rainbow grilled cheese toastie (makes 2)
- 1/3 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/3 cup gruyére, shredded
- 1/3 cup Swiss, shredded
- Pink food colouring
- Green food colouring
- Blue food colouring
- Lavender food colouring
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles, to garnish
- In a bowl, mix together mozzarella, gruyére, and Swiss cheese. Divide between 4 bowls and tint each with a different food colouring.
- Slice brioche and heat up a heavy bottomed fry pan to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, spread butter on one side of the four pieces of bread.
- Place 2 pieces butter-side down on the pan. Top with cheese and cover with the other slice of bread, butter-side up. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese has started to melt and bread is toasted. Flip sandwich and grill for another 2 minutes.
- Remove sandwich from pan and top with another smear of butter. Cover with sprinkles.
- Enjoy warm!