For the cooks: Breakfast nachos
11 Apr 2016
Nachos for breakfast? Yes please! We’re all for turning our favourite evening foods into morning eats from brisket and beef cheek to fried chicken and carbonara. But there’s something about the thought of a cheesy pile of corn chips, pulled pork, avocado and bacon bits (yes, bacon bits), that makes us want to go to bed a little earlier just so we can hurry up and have breakfast. Say no to the naysayers and meet the epicness that is our favourite version of breakfast nachos. Pulled pork breakfast nachos
For the jalapeño-cheddar sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the nachos (depending on how many people you are serving):
- Tortilla chips
- Pulled pork
- Sliced red onion, fried lightly in olive oil until slightly caramelised
- Crisped bacon bits
- Jalapeños, sliced or diced
- Avocado, diced
- Coriander, chopped
- Fried or poached eggs
- Lime wedges
For the cheese sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small pot and then add the jalapeño. Cook for a minute on low heat and then add the flour, stirring until mixed in well.
- Take off the heat and slowly whisk in the milk.
- Return to low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Add in the cheese and stir until melted. Season, to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm until serving.
For the nachos:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the tortilla chips out in an even layer and then layer the pulled pork, bacon bits, jalapeños and red onions on top.
- Drizzle the assembled nachos with roughly half of the cheese sauce and then put in the oven for about 10 minutes, just to warm everything through. While the nachos are baking, fry your eggs to desired doneness and prep your fresh toppings (avocado, cilantro, and limes).
- Take the nachos out of the oven and drizzle with additional warm cheese sauce. Top with the eggs, avocado, and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges and additional cheese sauce on the side.